Friday, September 16, 2005

Trust your gut

I’ve long lived by the personal rule that I don’t eat sushi in an empty restaurant. The logic seems clear to me, if there isn’t a steady stream of customers how could you expect the fish to be fresh. Well, I was in Richmond, VA this week and I found a restaurant on upromise.com (as a percentage goes to my daughter’s college fund). It seamed like a nice restaurant based on the menu offerings and prices. When I walked into Manhattan’s the place was empty save for a hostess. Go somewhere else. I continued in and joked that I was the first one in for the evening. The hostess seated me and continued to tell me that she would be the hostess, waitress and bartender. Everything but the cook. Leave now. Against my better judgment I ordered. When the fried green tomatoes came they weren’t bad…but they weren’t great. The mere fact that there was no garnish told me that nothing on the menu would be worth its price. Well, I’m in now. Next came the bread, I opened the basket to find store-bought, halved, warmed hamburger rolls, either stale or crusty from being rewarmed. My goal now was just to get out. I told you so. The dinner came and didn’t fail to disappoint. “Would you like another glass of wine?” No, thank-you. “How ‘bout dessert, honey?” No, thank-you. Check please!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think your first mistake was being in Richmond... ;)

September 16, 2005 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home